Architecture plays an important role in our everyday lives. We see it while taking a walk, riding in a car, and even sitting at work. It’s important to remember that someone dreamed up these buildings and took the time to work them into reality. Architects are artists who make functional buildings that may sometimes look like pieces of artwork. For example, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France, is one of the most recognized landmarks in the world. Built by Gustav Eiffel, the tower holds a radio broadcasting company, observation decks, and even restaurants. The United States Capitol building is another remarkable site. Designed in 1793 by an amateur architect, the building now houses the legislative branch while welcoming many eager visitors. Even ancient architects had to create designs for Rome’s Colosseum, still the world’s largest amphitheater. Luckily, today we can enjoy the talents of notable architects like Moshe Safdie, who designed the breathtaking National Gallery of Canada, and Philip Johnson, who created the Glass House, a residential home built of glass in New Canaan, Connecticut. There’s also Zaha Hadid, who became the first female to win the Pritzker Architecture Prize. Her building designs include the Bridge Pavilion in Spain, Contemporary Arts Center in Cincinnati, and MAXXI in Rome. But not all of us are looking to build the next Washington Monument. Architects are there to improve or construct residential, commercial, and institutional buildings that serve everyday individuals. Business owners and homeowners alike can benefit from having a great architect in their midst. If you’ve recently decided to move forward with your home or business remodeling dreams, it’s time to contact an architect. This task might be a little daunting for some, but there are key traits that a great architect will possess. Architects are there to show you options you haven’t even considered for your dream space. They will also help you get the most out of your investment for the future. 6 Characteristics of an Exceptional Architect:
- They’ll listen. A good architect will sit down with you and listen to all of your ideas. You can tell them your crazy building goals, history, and your possible future. Architects should get to know you and how your family lives if desiring a home addition. This helps them get a better understanding of how to build a custom home individualized to you. Not just listening skills, but a good architect will communicate with you effectively throughout the whole process to keep you informed.
- They possess design creativity. Architects should also have the skill of putting your ideas to paper. Their designs should align with your interests and goals to make your dream come true.
- They have technical abilities. A great architect should be able to include the mechanical, structural, and electrical components in his/her designs. Otherwise, problems may arise during the construction period that may not be irreversible.
- They are problem solvers. Any problems that arise should be met with creative and direct solutions when remodeling a home or business. You need an architect who will come up with innovative ways to build a structure that fits your needs.
- They know the business. Experienced architects know the business side to development as well. They will take practicality and budget into consideration when first creating designs. Architects should also be able to communicate effectively with construction workers, electricians, and other team members to create a solid business.
- They are passionate. One of the most valuable traits of a great architect is passion. Passion drives people to do great work because they truly love their job. You’ll need someone who enjoys and takes pleasure in their work. This will shine through as soon as you meet your perfect architect.
Now that you know what traits a good architect should have, let’s look at what great architects will do for you:
- They’ll listen. Again, listening to clients and their needs is step one in any building adventure. Great architects will listen and communicate with you about your ideal home while offering new ideas that you may have not considered.
- They understand zoning regulations. With each remodel, zoning regulations must be taken into consideration. You’ll need to hand over your site survey to the architect so he/she can see the property lines. There are certain guidelines that need to be adhered to when building an addition or new structure. If you don’t have a site survey, a great architect will refer you to some high-quality surveyors who will get the job done.
- They’ll present a detailed proposal. An exceptional architect will take all of your ideas and information, then draft a proposal. The proposal will include sketches, detailed construction drawings of each phase, and then an estimated amount for the whole process.
- They’ll answer your questions. After drafting the proposal, an architect should sit with you and answer any questions you may have. If you have issues or would like to see some changes, the architect will be ready to help. Not just in the preliminary stages, but architects will be on hand to discuss the project throughout the whole process.
- They’ll turn your dreams into reality. Great architects will ensure every detail is cared for while meeting client expectations. These architects will make sure your vision becomes solid right before your eyes. They’ll make the whole building process as pain-free as possible so you can have the dream home or business you’ve always wanted.
If you are a homeowner or business owner living in New Jersey, then you’re in luck. Prime Draft Studio encompasses all of the traits, characteristics, and actions previously described. This architecture firm provides a free consultation and promises to listen to your goals. Prime Draft will meet you at your home or construction site to get the “big picture” of the plan. The company will then get an impressive proposal drawn up so you can be confident that your ideas are heard. Prime Draft Studio will be there every step of the process to make sure you’re comfortable and informed. By choosing the experienced talents of New Jersey’s Prime Draft Studio, you’ll get the attention and service expected of a great architect. A worry-free experience is guaranteed.